Steamboat can certainly be healthy when you choose your ingredients, soup base and dipping sauces carefully to avoid an overdose of sodium, saturated fats, and carbohydrates in your meal. Below are the 5 tips to enjoy a healthy steamboat:
• Go for clear or light-flavoured base soup such as mushroom and cabbage tofu soup.
• Choose fish, seafood, lean pork, and chicken over internal organs such as liver, intestines, beef tripe, and pork kidney.
• Go for light dipping sauces such as fresh cut chillies with soya sauce, minced garlic, vinegar sauce instead of sambal, chilli oil and deep-fried garlic.
• Fill your hot pot with more vegetables.
• Eat slowly and chew thoroughly to prevent overeating.